Thursday 9 February 2012

Day 11 | Days

Today I concentrated on the days of the week (maybe because there is only a Friday left of the working week?).  You'll be pleased to know there are only 7 words - one for each day - to learn here, not like all of the other aspects of the Greek language I've showcased lately which seem to change depending on context (still getting to grips with the five words for a brother!).  So here is Monday through to Sunday:

Monday Δευτέρα thefterah
Tuesday Τρίτη Tritee
Wednesday           Τετάρτη Tetartee
Thursday Πέμπτη Pemptee
Friday Παρασκευή        Paraskevee
Saturday Σάββατο Savato
Sunday Κυριακή Keeriakee

Again, we come across a combination that messes things up a bit.  Look at Monday and Friday and note the use of ευ and then at how its pronounced as "ef".  Whilst not a rule, the majority of times that ευ are put together we get this unique sound.  Overall these seven ickle words will take an hour or so to get it to stick in your mind permanently.  If you want to put these words into sentances you'll more than likely need to use the "on" preposition which in Greek will be την or teen.  Lets see what that looks like in a sentance:

εγω θα σε δω την δευτέρα
Egho tha seh teen thefterah
Ι will you see on Monday 

Might look at Months next I reckon and thereafter start putting some proper sentances together, unless I get recommendations for anything else to cover.

Καλησπέρα!



Written by JuiceSoup.com

7 comments:

Brenda said...

I almost hate to tell you Andy, but the days of the week are nouns and they also have the declensions and cases. And feminine and neuter have different endings from the masculine. I'm very curious...what is your source for your studies? Are you doing the LGO course?

Unknown said...

Hi Brenda,

Well, that's annoying, but thanks! lol

I'm not using LGO (guess that stands for Learning Greek Online?). I am looking up Collins text books and then asking some Cypriots for the informal/relevent bits of information. What are you using?

Brenda said...

Since my husband was Greek, I picked up bits and pieces through the years but I wasn't really serious about it. I used the LGO lessons, and they were very helpful in a lot of ways...especially as a place to get questions answered by experts. I still check out their forum from time to time (which is where I found your post about your blog). I've also used the BYKI (Before You Know It) program a bit. Right now, I'm using the "Learning Greek podcasts" from the Hellenic American Union. I also highly recommend this forum for getting questions answered quickly and also learning from other people's questions.

http://forum.wordreference.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65

I no longer have my husband, but we built a house in his village in Greece a few years ago, and his brother and family are there, so I'm highly motivated to master the language. As it is, I get by over there...but just barely! :)

Unknown said...

Hi Brenda,

How are you? Thanks for the feedback. Are you in the UK too?
I'm sorry to hear you no longer have your husband. A house in Greece is certainly a good motivator to learn the language(!). I am looking to move to Cyprus in the near future, so the sense of urgency is pretty sharp.
In a few posts time I'll do a review of the best sites & forums to learn the language for other readers to benefit from, so will no doubt lean on you again for help!

Brenda said...

I'm in Canada.

Anonymous said...

It most definitely is a rule that the vowel combinations αυ and ευ are pronounced as av/ ev when followed by a vowel or γ, β, δ, μπ, ντ, γκ, ζ, λ, μ, ν or ρ and as af/ ef when followed by θ, κ, ξ, π, σ, τ, χ, φ. So μαύρος = mavros and αυτός = aftos.
Also worth noting that while the rest of the days are indeed feminine Σάββατο is a neuter so instead of την you'll need to use το.

Unknown said...

I didn't know the ευ combination!