Thursday 2 February 2012

Day 8 | Who? What? Where?

Apologies all for the break in posting.  I'm now back from a very cold and snowy East Berlin (picture below of me at the Soviet Union Treptower Park).  Learning Greek whilst keeping up with pigeon German in cafés and restaurants was impossible, so I'm desperately throwing myself back into the Greek text books to learn and re-learn what I had lost as a consequence!


So that aside, lets look at some very useful conversation starters.  These might look basic but after a long break its a ruddy struggle to learn (people call it bad day).

What is your name? πώς σε λένε; pos seh lehneh?
My name is Andy Με λένε Andy meh leneh Andy
Where are you from?      Από πού είσαι; Apoh poo eeseh?
I am from England Είμαι από την Ελλάδα       Eemeh apo teen Ehlantha
How old are you? πόσο χρονών είσαι; Poso kronon eeseh?
I am 30 years old Είμαι τρίαντα ετών Eemeh triantah ehton

Notice I left my name as it is in English (anyone know how Andy would be spelt in Greek?). Another nuance to note is that when we talk about "years" there is ετών (eton) as shown in the above table but you can also use Χπόνωη (Khrohnon) which seems more Cypriot than Greek.  Either way you can adopt both in your grammar tool kit.  Perhaps someone can ask me a question in Greek in the Comments section and I'll try to respond in the next post (missing that feedback!).

Written by JuiceSoup.com

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ανδρέας=Andy

Brenda

Unknown said...

Ευχαριστώ πολύ Brenda

Anonymous said...

You said you're from England so -> Eίμαι από την Αγγλία
Ελλάδα means Greece

Unknown said...

Ευχαριστώ Anonymous! Πος σε λέν; πόσο κρονών είσαι;

Unknown said...

You can say "Andy" with Άντης(Antees) and it is likely people use Άντυ (Andee) too

Anonymous said...

England sounds like Angleeah (according to the Michel Thomas course I'm doing at the mo').