Thursday 1 March 2012

Day 15 | Colours


Back from my business trip in Rome and then contracted a nasty cold which I'm still suffering from (poor me).  That meant learning Italian last week instead of what I should really be doing, which is keeping up with my Greek.  Because of this I'm easing myself into it with some colours to brighten up the horizon.  Below are some of the main ones (I'm not interested in Falu Red, Xanadu, Caput Mortuum or Arsenic and I'm not sure they even exist in Greek).  

Orange       πορτοκαλί       portokalee
Green πράσινο Prasinoh
Red κόκκινο Kokkeenoh
Black μαύρο mahvroh
Grey γκρί Gree
White άσπρο asproh
Blue μπλε bleh
Yellow κίτρινο kitrinoh
Brown καφέ kafe
Pink ροζ roz

Now this is Greek remember so here comes the complications. In English we can describe nouns with colours (a black dog, a white cloud etc) and the colour does not change form.  This is because there is no sense of gender.  However, in Greek the above list shows the neutral colours.  When we apply them to a gender specific noun however as an adjective, these will change. 
This is a black dog
αυτός είναι ένα mαύρος σκύλος
aftos eenah enah mavros skylos

This is my red blouse
αυτή είναι η κόκκινη μπλούζα μου
aftee eenah e kokkinee bloozah mou

Note how the colour is changing as we put them alongside gender specific nouns.  The black goes from the neutral μαύρο to the masculine μαύρος.  The red goes from κόκκινο to female κόκκινη.  So again, we're not learning one word but three (although you might argue we learn the neutral and then use the formula for translating it to male and female with the use of -ος and -η).  

I think I'll look at animals next for the intrigue more than anything (guessing a lot of English words that end with -ios).



Written by JuiceSoup.com

No comments: