Saturday 3 March 2012

Day 16 | Animals

Today is my favourite subject which is Animals (a massive Richard Dawkins fan).  As you can imagine the list can be a thousand deep so I'll just stick to the essentials (the ones that you're most likely to see in the zoo or at best escaping your plug holes).  

Dog σκυλί skeelee
Cat γάτα gyata
Elephant              ελέφαντας elephantas
Bird πουλί poollee
Snake φίδι feethee
Mouse ποντίκι pondeekee
Bear αρκούδα arkootha
Goat κατσίκα katsika
Cow αγελάδα agelahtha
Pig χοίρος/γουρούνι           Kheeros/gyoorooni
Worm σκουλήκι skooleekee
Tiger τίγρη teegree
Lion λιοντάρι liontahree
Spider αράχνη araknee
Duck πάπια papeyah
Fish ψαρι Psaree
Monkey μαϊμού maimooh
Insect έντομο entomoh

Animal incidently is ζώο ("Zoo").  Useful I thought (short and intuitive) except when I stupidly asked what Zoo would then be, which is long, complicated and unintuitive.  ζωολογικός κήπος  (Zooloyikos kypos) where κήπος means Garden.  Hmmm!

Anyway, lets try and marry the animals with the last post on colours with some sentances to exemplify: 

This is my grey elephant
αυτος είναι γκρι ελέφαντας μου

This is a black spider
αυτη είναι η μαύρη αράχνη

I want a pink pig 
εγώ θέλο ένα ροζ χοιρος 

Where is a red duck?
Πού είναι μια κόκκινη πάπια;

How old is your green cat?
πόσο χρονών είναι η πράσινος γατα σου;

I'm not very confident with these, so please let me know if I have got these wrong in anyway (still a little rusty after nearly 2 weeks off!).  Last point, I understand that the Greek word for Bird is also used for a particular swear word (I'm not saying what), so use wisely! 


Written by JuiceSoup.com

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Αυτός είναι του γκρι ελέφαντα μου.
Πόσο χρονών είναι της πράσινης γατας σου;

Btw here is a link to a site where you can practice Greek (and other languages)
http://www.goethe-verlag.com/tests/index1.htm

Anonymous said...

Please disregard my previous post. I am obviously too tired to think straight.
The correct sentences would ofcourse be Αυτός είναι ο γκρι ελέφαντας μου. and Πόσο χρονών είναι η πράσινη γατα σου;