Monday 26 March 2012

Day 19 | Useful Verbs

Today I am teasing out the verbs a little futher by looking at the future, past and have tenses.  I deliberately picked out the words that I use most often on the phone secretly at work.  Unsuprisingly I looked at the verb to leave and to work which I've shown below.  It's a lot of work writing out the transliteration of these as I've done in the past so for this post entry I won't bother and rely on the reader to read the Greek letters.  Let me know if you need any help.

To leave
φυγηLeave (noun)
θα φυγω I will leave
θα φυγεις you will leave
θα φυγει he/she/it will leave
θα φυγουμε           we will leave
θα φυγετε you lot leave
θα φυγουν they will leave
φύγε you leave! (command)

To work
δουλειά work (noun)
δουλεύω I am working
δουλεύεις you are working
δουλεύει he/she/it is working
δουλεύουμε we are working
δουλεύετε you lot are working
δουλεύουν they are working
Future tense
θα δουλεψω I will work
θα δουλεψεις you will work
θα δουλεψει he/she/it will work
θα δουλεψουμε we will work
θα δουλεψετε you lot will work
θα δουλεψουν they will work
εσύ δουλεψε!you work! (command)
Past tense
δουλεψα I worked
δουλεψες you worked
δουλεψε he/she/it worked
δουλεψαμε we worked
δουλεψατε you lot worked
δουλεψαν they worked
Have tense
εχω δουλεψει Ι have worked
εχεις δουλεψει you have worked
εχει δουλεψει he/she/it worked
εχουμε δουλεψει                we worked
εχετε δουλεψει you lot worked
εχουν δουλεψει they worked

I don't know about you but that is a danger to the brain.  So many subtle nuance to learn and apply.  I put in the "have" sentances above because it looks like a bit of a cheat since you only have to learn the "to have" verbs and learn only one variation of the operative verb ("worked") instead of loads of different ones.  Good luck to all who embark on this.  I've only just started it so I'll keep repeating the process on different verbs.  Practise makes perfect.  Just keep in your backpocket the below pseudo-rules for verb endings:

I
you -εις
he/she/it -ει
we -ουμε
you lot -ετε
they -ουν


Written by JuiceSoup.com

No comments: